Big big thanks to all of you for playing Earthlock, as this is the first major game by Snowcastle it means a lot to see so many people enjoying the game. As lead designer its also makes me nervous to see many people really struggling with the bosses. I really dont want anyone to give up, but beat that Boss. So thanks to all those that came back after rage quitting a boss, we have all been there.
I really just want to explain the general design decisions behind the bosses.
The vast majority of the bosses in the game are weak to specific strategies and once those are discovered they can become quite easy. We didn't want the bosses to just be another mob with more health, but an exercise in strategy. I wanted the bosses to be memorable fights and yes tough, thats what makes beating them feel good. An easy/straight forward boss can feel a bit disappointing, one is not too bad but a string of them can feel a little flat. Consequently finding the correct strategy can be very challenging and frustrating. A side effect of our Boss design approach is that the bosses can appear a lot harder than they actually are and players feel that they need to go and grind a lot of levels to defeat them, which is hopefully not true, but instead are maybe a level off or are just using the wrong strategy. As the game progresses and the parties abilities widen, different strategies can be used against bosses. Given the flexibility of the Talent board we are seeing people defeat bosses in ways we never expected, which is AWESOME.
A few general tips when fighting bosses.
- By design the majority of bosses have a save point near them so they are easy to access if you happen to be defeated. So dont get too disheartened, you will not have to fight your way to get to the boss. Remember to save if you see a save statue
- Be prepared, take plenty of potions and make sure you have the most powerful healing potions equipped.
- Use the Talents wisely, switch them up to cater for the specific bosses. eg Magic Defense against a magical boss. Borrow from the reserve party members if need be.
- When fighting a boss pay specific attention to its reactions to certain attacks or abilities you use. Certain bosses counter certain abilities either with attacks or abilities of their own.
- Pay attention to the damage applied from your attacks.
- Also pay specific attention to their attacks and think about the best party configuration to counter them. At some points it is wise to switch up the party. In some cases its the defensive abilities of the party members that matter not the offensive.
- All members of the battle party get the full XP if dead when the boss is defeated, so dont worry about resurrecting to get the XP. This is not true, for normal mob fights. In a normal mob fight XP is given based on how many turns of the battle the party member was alive for.
I hope this helps but if you are really stuck, we have started to post up boss strategies. If there is a boss you are stuck at and there is no guide, please ask.