Photo

Holy crap, seriously need some balancing for some enemies.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Loxim

Loxim

Seed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 10:21 PM

So I started off this game really enjoying the heck out of it, there really isn't enough turn based rpg's being made.  I still really do enjoy the game, but christ if I don't rage against some enemies.  Those Little Marvels for example, WTF.  I was literally stuck in a battle with one of those little shits for over 10 minutes.  Why you ask?  Because the thing can buff itself (and others) with 3-4 buffs including haste, which in turn gives it 2-3 turns for every 1 of my turns.  Now that isn't the most annoying part, but it is aggravating when fighting one of those plus a few other enemies.  No no, the problem came during that 10 minute fight when it would CONTINUOUSLY cast the Cloak spell.  Now what cloak does for those of you who have not seen it, cloak turns the enemy into an un-targetable enemy.  While cloaked, it will continue to buff itself, drain your health, cast regen on itself, and right before cloak wears off, it will cloak again.  I got so lucky to be able to crit the thing when it finally didn't cast cloak again and killed it.  Seriously, wow this enemy is designed so badly.

Ok, sorry for that rant there.  Really got mad at that thing.

On to my next problem/concern.  What is with all the AoE damage enemies can put out with their basic attacks?  Where is my AoE?  The Supers I don't consider usable often enough to help.  I got decimated running through the desert, clearing out 7-8 groups of enemies (while still being bombarded by AoE) and then BAM, chain AoE from every single enemy in the fight, repeatedly every turn they got, and one enemy casts an AoE magic spell that hits for 2/3 of all my characters health.  I just dashboard to the Xbox home screen and force quit the game to save myself more frustration.  Also, on a side note, why can't I save on the world map?  I ask because I lost a half hour of fighting enemies two separate times, because you guessed it, wiped out by the crazy amount of AoE that enemies throw out.

Now with that all said, after calming down and trying again, the game is enjoyable and awesome to have another turn based rpg to play.  But it does need some work.  A lot of things just are not explained well enough or at all.  Some debuffs I have no idea what they actually do.  And an upgrade to the Bestiary that shows what items can be stolen from them after I have stolen everything available would be great. 

Thanks for reading if you did, and sorry again for complaining so much.

#2 DPack

DPack

Barnacle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 12:22 AM

Cloaked enemies can still be targeted by your AoE's (supers and Taika's abilities), even if they're the last enemy left on the field. Additionally, you can force them to de-cloak early by attacking yourself. Gnart's club is best for this as it does the least amount of damage. Get used to this tactic, as you'll be using it quite a bit against some bosses. Usually, I'll prioritize little marvels and those other ones (ympkins? i think?) and kill them before they buff too much. Strategy. It works wonders in this game.

Also, you don't HAVE to gather enemies into groups of 8 before every combat. ESPECIALLY not when entering a new area. If you get killed by a chain of 8 AoE's within your first few combats in the desert, then you aren't being screwed, you're being punished for your hubris. What, you didn't expect that 8x XP multiplier to come EASY now, did you? If you could kill 8x enemies every time you came across new ones, then I'd call THAT unbalanced.

I do agree with what you said in regards to the status effects tho. At the very least, they should be recorded in the Bestiary, or Gnart's Log after you've encountered them. As for stealing, don't bother with it. Most of the stuff you can steal is sold by frogboy anyways, and the 1 or 2 things that aren't (like Fine Wire) are easy enough to figure out what type of enemy drops them.

Kick him in the nuts, Olia!

#3 Loxim

Loxim

Seed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 02:44 AM

Thanks for the tips, appreciate it a lot.  But I would like to know how people figure out that attacking yourself ends cloak, how are people supposed to know that?  That is the type of thing that should be explained.  I haven't run into a boss that cloaks yet, but that will come in handy.  And for AoE's that is nice to know as well, but I'm pretty light on the AoE's so far, but will keep that in mind.

I should have explained that better, I wasn't pulling 7-8 enemies at a time (at least not until I knew I could win), I meant 7-8 separate groups of enemies, working my way through the area.

And I agree with with what you said there, status effects NEED to be explained and tracked in a tutorial or Gnart's log.  Even some buffs could use an explanation.  Is stealing really not that important to be doing every fight?  I've been stealing from each enemy 1-2 times every fight.  :mellow:

#4 Indica420

Indica420

Seed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:22 AM

Nah, DPack, you need to chill off the condescending attitude... when you first suddenly fight the Ympkin and his four jerks, you have no AoE, and there are 5 of them in the battle. Ympkin casts haste and then gets another turn to cast the super buff shield. Then cloak and regen back-to-back and he is untouchable since there is no reason to *ever* believe that hitting yourself will remove *his* cloak.  Strategy my ass, that's just hope-you-survive-the-retarded-difficulty-spike-and-then-go-fanboy-all-over-the-forums. This IS unbalanced. It IS a badly designed enemy at that stage in the game (and at any stage, for that matter, if the main strategy is to hit yourself to undo his cloak...).

The game has a lot of really cool things, but if this Ympkin crap is any indication, it's gonna be a very bumpy ride...

#5 DPack

DPack

Barnacle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:55 AM

Nah, DPack, you need to chill off the condescending attitude... when you first suddenly fight the Ympkin and his four jerks, you have no AoE, and there are 5 of them in the battle. Ympkin casts haste and then gets another turn to cast the super buff shield. Then cloak and regen back-to-back and he is untouchable since there is no reason to *ever* believe that hitting yourself will remove *his* cloak.  Strategy my ass, that's just hope-you-survive-the-retarded-difficulty-spike-and-then-go-fanboy-all-over-the-forums. This IS unbalanced. It IS a badly designed enemy at that stage in the game (and at any stage, for that matter, if the main strategy is to hit yourself to undo his cloak...).

The game has a lot of really cool things, but if this Ympkin crap is any indication, it's gonna be a very bumpy ride...

I never insinuated that people are supposed to know the cloak trick. The tactic I was referring to is hitting your own teammates, as it dispels some of the more troublesome status ailments, such as Sleep, or Confuse. That tactic has been around for literally decades, in countless RPGs. I discovered the cloak trick later in the game while clearing confusion off my own teammate, so I figured I'd mention it to potentially help out people earlier in the game. Same with the comment about strategy.  Strategy really does play a huge role. There is no single tactic that will carry you all the way through this game unless you're willing to grind for hours upon end. Often times you'll need to switch stances, or talents, or bonds, or your entire team composition. This game isn't unbalanced. Difficult? yes. Unforgiving? Very. Especially towards anyone who tries to steamroll it.

I don't understand why my post triggered you so hard. I flavored it up a bit, sure, but you're making it out to sound like I'm telling people to "git gud". That's not it at all.

Kick him in the nuts, Olia!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users